Monday 21 May 2018

Spring break (Day 3) - Lambert's Castle

Female Redstart
Male looking on from a safe distance
Singing actually above me
An area, another male 
Look I'm busy !
View towards Colmer's Hill
I was out very early to the National Trust owned Lambert's Castle on Sunday morning hoping to catch up with a few local Common Redstarts. Local birder Justin Tunstall marked my card that the birds were back in residence but they would just need a bit of finding.

It was a beautiful morning with the dawn chorus in full swing. I quickly established what looked to be the best areas and was rewarded with a male then a female Redstart landing right in front of me. The female posed beautifully teasing the male by flicking her tail. The male sat up about 40 yards away watching his potential mate.

After taking in the amazing views from the top of the iron age hill fort towards Colmer's Hill I carried on surveying the area to see what I could find. Yellowhammers were singing and a Sparrowhawk flew low through the orchard looking for any easy breakfast meal.

I then established two further male Redstart territories with the birds in full song enabling me to get some amazing footage. I must say this was the best I've seen this fantastic species. I was enjoying them so much I over looked taking a shot of a Spotted Flycatcher seen twice in favour of this colourful birds of the woodland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment