Thursday 28 December 2017

Upton Warren Whooper




When updating a few records I realised I'd never seen a Whooper Swan at Upton Warren so after a very long cycle on the Christmas Eve morning I headed over for a late afternoon session.

Misty & overcast the long staying Whooper Swan did its best to avoid me sleeping on the side of an island I couldn't see from the east hide. A few gun shots from the local farm, apparently taking pot shots at Canada Geese, flushed most birds but did wake the sleeping Whooper. As I walked around from the east hide 10 Curlew fed in the A38 field whilst a male Peregrine watched from a distance.

When reaching the west hide I manage to get some great scope views of the Whooper Swan and other highlights included 7 Pochards, 2 Little Egret, Bullfinch, drake Wigeon & a calling Water Rail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment